End of the Republic

The American Republic is in decline. The decline is self-inflicted, a sort of suicide by choice. Why are people deciding to follow the "Road to Serfdom" over the "Road to Freedom"?

Location: Chesapeake Beach, MARYLAND, United States

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Silent Majority

Before anyone out there claims “mandate” or “landslide”, please take into consideration the following...

Total US Population 305,584,303

Votes for Obama 63,353,266

PCT of Total US voting for Obama 20.73%
Number of eligible voters 231,229,580

PCT of eligible voters 27.40%
Number of registered voters 169,000,000

PCT of registered voters 37.49%

Anyway you slice it, Obama does not have a mandate by these figures. He does not even come close to achieving 50% of votes of registered voters.

In fact, only 20% of the population (total) even voted for him. How do the dogmatic democrats (not political party, but blind supporters of democracy as a panacea) justify this? What does this 20% “get” out of an Obama presidency at the expense of the other 80%?
Answer: What they deserve.
Problem: They are taking the other 80% with them along for the ride.

That is the difficulty of having created the “Imperial Presidency”. Pre-FDR, a presidential election result did not matter (with few exceptions like the civil war) as the role of the chief executive was limited and not some “all-powerful, all-influencing” job (save for Lincoln and his suspension of habeas corpus which is a whole other discussion). Remember, presidents like Washington and Coolidge (“if nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve”) simply moved away from this job even though they could have continued in office!

1980 – Reagan won by a lot… 1996 Clinton, too (for recent history)

Also – I want you to ALL notice how the Democrats were RED and Republicans BLUE! A reversal of today. Dems did all they could to remove the “red” from themselves (since it is the color/symbol of communism/socialism).

Ronald Reagan George Bush Republican 43,903,230
James Carter Walter Mondale Democratic 35,480,115

Bill Clinton Albert Gore Jr. Democratic 47,400,125
Robert Dole Jack Kemp Republican 39,198,755

Let alone 1936….

F. Roosevelt John Garner Democratic 27,752,648
Alfred Landon Frank Knox Republican 16,681,862

How about 64?

Lyndon Johnson Hubert Humphrey Democratic 43,127,041
Barry Goldwater William Miller Republican 27,175,754


Post a Comment

<< Home