End of the Republic

The American Republic is in decline. The decline is self-inflicted, a sort of suicide by choice. Why are people deciding to follow the "Road to Serfdom" over the "Road to Freedom"?

Name:
Location: Chesapeake Beach, MARYLAND, United States

Monday, December 06, 2004

On some fun

I have been a little remiss in updating this site and responding to questions as of late. I am doing some research on a few issues and points raised in prior discussions. I am also enjoying the holidays and my family and friends.

Thanksgiving was pretty sweet. I really like it when there is no vomit involved with Thanksgiving. My brother came into town from Indianapolis. It was wonderful to spend a few days with him. I had a really good time. I think he did, too!
My sister came down from Baltimore with her friend for the evening. I felt a little bad for her because she does not eat pork and since our turkey was slathered in bacon and stuffed with sausage....
My friend Sanju made a re-appearance after about 5 years. We saw him a few weeks before Thanksgiving and invited him over. I think he had a good time hanging out with us after all these years. He and I share the same birthday too!
My other friends came over with their newborn baby. I got to hold him for sometime. I feel I had a lot to be thankful for.
My take on Thanksgiving is this: It is a celebration of our production. Over the entire year we have worked really hard. Thanksgiving is the time of year to have our friends and family over and celebrate the fact that we can have a Tur-duck-hen. Why? Because we have worked hard to acquire it. Nobody gave it to us. Even our relationships with our friends and family are the result of working to maintain them and make them flourish. We earned all of that food and all of our friends! Thank you Turkey day!

My company's holiday party is coming up and my wife will miss it. She is going out of town on behalf of her work.... Talk about a role reversal. As a result, I invited my sister to the Christmas party. Call me a dork if you want. I think I have another thing to be Thankful for: I have two wonderful women who can stand me long enough to go out for an evening!

I would also like to take this opportunity to introduce a friend of mine from around the world: Mr. Individualist. I met him last January while in Ethiopia. I was so glad to encounter a similar mind. I hope to have him over to my house one day - perhaps for Thanksgiving. We always had good discussions and I do miss his company and support. It is difficult to find people who THINK in our line of work. I think I will post a picture of him next!

Let's see.... Where have I been. This will quickly catch up all of you who are not up to date with all of my travels.
Japan
Malaysia
Singapore
Mozambique
South Africa
Cape Verde
Angola
France
Belgium
Curacao
Suriname
Barbados
Guyana
Ecuador
Dominican Republic
St. Kitts & Nevis
Germany
Ethiopia
Egypt
Jordan
Luxembourg

I hope to visit a lot more soon!
Now - to post that picture!

J. Thyme Matz

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting take on Thanksgiving. Wow, must everything come down to the acquistion of capital? Even your friends? What a way to live.

December 8, 2004 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger J. Thyme Matz said...

It is a good way to live.
My friends know they are of value to me. You must remember that not everything boils down to dollars. Values represent what is important to a person. My values are what I will act to gain/maintain. I will not sacrifice a higher value for a lower value. As such, my friends and family know exactly where they stand. More importantly, they know exactly where I stand.

December 29, 2004 at 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you a member of a cult?

January 3, 2005 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger J. Thyme Matz said...

No. I am not a member of any political party.

January 5, 2005 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To each his own. I don't think of my friends and my relationships with people in this manner.

Are you a Randian? And if you are, what in her philsophy is appealing to you? I don't get it.

January 5, 2005 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger J. Thyme Matz said...

"To each his own" is exactly my point. Find a philosophic framework that works for you and defend it. People who have one set of "ideals" and behave in a manner that conflicts with those ideals do not lead fulfilling lives. If your relationships are happy and productive based on your philosophy, then there is no reason for you to change. The same is true in reverse, you have no reason to force me to change. "To each his own".

I am not a Rand-roid (as they are called in Japan). I have read her works and I have been influenced to start my studies in philosophy and capitalism by those works. However, I have a feeling that she and I would not get along. If you would like to understand more, please let me know - I would be more than willing to continue the converstation.

January 20, 2005 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, that's ok. I am not reading this blog anymore.

Not a profitable use of my time.

January 22, 2005 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger J. Thyme Matz said...

I am sorry you feel that way. Let me know if you think there is anything I could have done to make it a more profitable use of time.

January 23, 2005 at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home